MINUTES OF THE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD at 7.30 p.m. on WEDNESDAY, 12 SEPTEMBER 2001

at BISLEY WOMEN’S INSTITUTE HALL

Mrs P Carrick

 

Chairman

Mrs J M Martin

}

 

Mr J P L Perkins

}

Bisley Ward

Mr N S Rogers

}

 

Mr T G Carter

}

 

Mrs J W Russell

}

Eastcombe Ward

Mrs O M Turner

}

 

Mr A C Newman

}

 

Mr R N Budgeon

}

Oakridge Ward

Mr R S Bryant

}

 
     

Mrs E F Jordan

 

Clerk

In attendance: District Cllr L C Greene

Mr David Hagg, Chief Executive of Stroud District Council

 

Two members of the public were present

 

Before the meeting started, the Chairman introduced Mr Hagg to the Parish Councillors who briefly explained his strategy, offering the District Council’s assistance to the Parish if needed.

01.09

1.

Apologies for Absence

   

County Councillor C Fellows, Mr R K Brooks (previous appointment), Mr M G Flint (holiday)

01.09

2.

Public Participation

   

i)

Concern was voiced regarding the Planning Application recently received for the land at Mount Pleasant, Bisley. The Planning Sub-Committee Chairman for Bisley replied that they had commented on the application stating that the small piece of land had poor access onto a busy road which would increase parking problems. District Cllr Greene said that she had received two letters of objection and had spoken to the Case Officer. No decision had yet been made and the application will be going to the Planning Department on the 9 October.

   

ii)

Mr Brown expressed concern at the delay of extending the 30 mph restrictions in conjunction with the 20 mph restrictions to come into force shortly in Bisley. It was confirmed that there had been an administrative error in the Highway’s Department but that this had now been rectified and it was hoped that there would not be much of a delay.

01.09

3.

Minutes of Previous Meeting

   

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 1 August having been circulated to all members were approved with an amendment to 01.08.11 b) which should have read ‘ with the Pavilion Committee…’ and the Chairman signed the Minute Book.

01.09

4.

Matters Arising

   

a)

Severn Trent

     

Concern was expressed with the standard of verge repairs undertaken by Kennedy’s after their excavation for pipe work. The Clerk told the meeting that Kennedy’s had taken photographs of walls and verges before work commenced with the intention of ensuring that they were repaired to the same standard as before work started.

Mr Bryant told the meeting that once again, Far Oakridge was to have its water supply interrupted for more work to the water mains.

It is anticipated that work in the centre of Bisley including the High Street will start week commencing 8th October.

   

b)

Middle Hill Footpath

     

The Clerk stated that she had taken various papers to the Solicitor in order to prove ownership of the Eastcombe allotments. Work has not yet started on the soakaways.

   

c)

Oakridge Pavilion

     

Mr Bryant said that the windows were nearly finished and should be fitted shortly.

   

d)

Cotswold AONB Review of Conservation Board Option

     

The Chairman told the meeting the Land Use Consultants from whom a letter had been received, were acting specifically for the Countryside Agency.

   

e)

Eastcombe Pavilion

     

Mrs Turner had attended a meeting and it had been agreed that they would send the minutes of their AGM to the Parish Clerk.. They have also provided the Clerk with their accounts, in accordance with their lease,and paid their rent for the years 2000 and 2001.

   

f)

Eastcombe Recreation Ground Boundary etc.

     

The Clerk contacted the Headmaster of Thomas Keble School in connection with the boundary fence. He stated that this should be repaired very early in the Autumn Term.

With regard to the possibility of providing a stile between the Recreation Ground and the playing field, the headmaster did not feel that this was appropriate as it could encourage the public to exercise their dogs on the playing field. However, he was open to suggestions.

The walls have now been repaired.

01.09

5.

District Council Matters

   

Windyridge: District Cllr Greene said that plans for the play area have now been received for comment. It is hoped that the work on the housing will start before December and should take approximately nine months.

A new Waste Environmental Service Contract has been awarded to a new team. There will be no missed collections during bank holidays. The kerb side re-cycling scheme should now be extended to the whole district.

Concern was expressed by some councillors that on many occasions the re-cycling bins in the villages were full and therefore not being emptied often enough.

District Cllr Greene said that both she and the Chairman attended the Parish Transport Rural Forum, which had proved informative.

01.09

6.

County Council Matters

   

As the County Councillor was not able to be present there was nothing raised under this heading.

01.09

7.

Finance

Receipts

£

VAT

£

Total

£

Hire of Bisley Pavilion

   

5.00

Sale of Lock-up booklet

   

2.00

Bank Interest

   

6.10

 

 

 

 

   

£13.10

       

Payments

     

James & Owen – Planning filing cabinet

80.77

14.13

94.90

Gloucestershire C C – Stancombe Sign

   

77.50

BT – Clerk’s telephone/fax bill

72.82

12.74

85.86

William Davis – Mending Eastcombe walls

   

850.00

Sodexho – grass cutting July and August

248.00

43.40

291.40

Inland Revenue – NI & Tax – Clerk’s salary

   

13.84

E F Jordan – August Salary

   

411.95

     

£1825.45

Cash balance as at 31.8.01 - £8,718.53

01.09

8.

Matters for Discussion

   

a)

Clerk’s Salary

     

The Clerk left the meeting whilst her salary was discussed. The Council agreed to increase her salary to £7.016 per hour in accordance with the recommended National Scale.

   

b)

Insurance of Assets

     

The Clerk was asked to increase the insurance of Parish Assets in accordance with the revised values as per the schedule that had been passed to councillors. This will incur an increase in premium of approximately £181 per annum.

   

c)

Village Plan

     

Due to holidays there had not been much activity on this. However, a meeting will take place shortly and housing needs will be included.

   

d)

Transport Plan

     

District Cllr Greene and the Chairman have been to meetings with Halcrow and are planning to hold a public meeting to ascertain needs. The Chairman will report shortly.

   

e)

Declaration of Interests

     

After some discussion, Mr Hagg offered the assistance of the District Council in setting up a register. The Clerk will be contacted shortly.

   

f)

Large Issues – Chairman’s Report

     

The Chairman reported on an interesting meeting she had attended. A paper had been given to the Wards and the Chairmen were asked to discuss it in Ward Meetings and this can then be brought up at the next meeting.

   

g)

Stonecote Ridge Green

     

This has now been resolved with the owner whose property is being used as a public footpath. It was agreed that the fence and chain round the green is extended to show the boundaries thus fencing it off from the householders drive.

   

h)

‘Women in Boots’

     

It was agreed to give a contribution of 25% to this project in coordination with Gloucestershire County Council linking the village of Bisley with the outlying shops.

   

i)

Update of Roads

     

The Clerk and the Chairman were asked to get confirmation of the roads in the Parish that were to be repaired in the next financial year and to ascertain as to whether these repairs would constitute a complete re-surfacing or merely just to have the potholes repaired.

The Clerk was asked to approach the Highways Department and enquire as to the cost of installing a footpath down Toadsmoor Road in Eastcombe.

   

j)

Stroud District Local Plan

     

The Chairman told the meeting of a Pre-Inquiry Meeting to be held on Tuesday, 16th October in the Stroud Subscription Rooms if anyone wished to attend.

   

k)

Rural Grant’s Project

     

This is to be discussed in Ward Meetings and will again be on the Agenda for the October Parish Council Meeting.

   

l)

Snow Warden Procedures

     

The Clerk was asked to write to the Divisional Surveyor to invite him to the next meeting to discuss procedures for arrangements for bad weather.

   

m)

Golden Jubilee

     

Both Bisley and Eastcombe have held meetings. It was suggested that the three villages liase on their activities and report back at the next meeting. It was agreed that the Parish Council would give a contribution to the celebrations.

01.09

9.

Planning

   

Recent planning applications were available on the table for inspection together with the Planning Sub-Committee’s comments, which are attached to these minutes.

     
       

01.09

10.

Correspondence

SDC

Letter re Land Drainage Byelaws

Oakridge Society

Letter re War Memorial

Cheltenham & Glos College

Flexible Delivery Project

GCC

Letters re Bisley 20/30 mph

SDC

Housing Strategy 2002 – 05

Community Health Council

Meeting 20th September

GCC

Foot and Mouth Short Term Recovery Plan

Gloucestershire Constabulary

Drug Plan

" "

Overview & Review

DTLR

Ethical Framework Bulletin No 1

Gloucestershire Waste Campaign

Recycling

GCC

Speak out leaflets

SDC

Letter re Vital Villages Action Pack

Sovereign Housing Association

Proposed Play Area for Bisley

Football Foundation

Register of facilities

Gloucestershire’s Rural Voice

Quarterly Journal

Gloucestershire NHS

Summary Consultation Document

Thumbs Up

Car Sharing Scheme Posters

SDC

Woodland Grant Scheme

ULB

Creadel

       

01.09

11.

Ward Matters

     
   

a)

Bisley

     

Activities at the Pavilion are progressing smoothly.

       
   

b)

Eastcombe

     

The Clerk was asked to arrange for a ‘No Tipping’ sign to be erected on the land opposite Fourways Garage for which the Parish Council have stewardship.

     

As Mr Carter could not attend the next Police Joint Meeting, he asked for a volunteer to go in his place. Mr Newman said he may possibly be able to attend and would let Mr Carter know shortly.

       
     

Mrs Russell expressed dissatisfaction at the state of verge cutting in Eastcombe. The Clerk will pass this on to the Highways Department.

       
     

Mr Robert Newbould will now cut the greens and grassed areas in Eastcombe.

   

c)

Oakridge

     

The Clerk was requested to write to Mr Alan Weir to thank him for the grass cutting on the wild flower area on the Recreation Field.

       
     

Mr Bryant reminded the meeting of the grants available to students either embarking on further education or already in further education and asked them to let residents know.

     

Mr Newman said that he was not happy with holes being drilled in the War Memorial per se. He asked that the holes be filled with attractive brass stoppers to retain the water but enabling it to be flushed out.

     

It would appear that garden rubbish is being dumped in the area. If anyone is aware of who is doing this please let Mr Newman know.

     

01.09

12.

Date and Place of Next Meeting

   

The next meeting will be held at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday, 3rd October in the Bisley W I Hall.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.40 p.m.