MINUTES OF THE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD at 7.30 p.m. on WEDNESDAY, 3 OCTOBER 2001
at BISLEY WOMEN’S INSTITUTE HALL

Mrs P Carrick

 

Chairman

     

Mr M G Flint

}

 

Mrs J M Martin

}

Bisley Ward

Mr J P L Perkins

}

 

Mr N S Rogers

}

 
     

Mr T G Carter

}

 

Mr R K Brooks

}

Eastcombe Ward

Mrs J W Russell

}

 

Mrs O M Turner

}

 
     

Mr A C Newman

}

 

Mr R N Budgeon

}

Oakridge Ward

Mr R S Bryant

}

 
     

Mrs E F Jordan

 

Clerk

     

In attendance: County Cllr Mr C Fellows

No members of the public were present

01.10

1.

Apologies for Absence

   

District Councillor Lesley Greene

01.10

2.

Public Participation

   

Nothing was raised under this heading.

       

01.10

3.

Minutes of Previous Meeting

   

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 12th September, having been circulated to all members were approved and the Chairman signed the Minute Book.

01.10

4.

Matters Arising

   

a)

Insurance or Assets

     

The Clerk told the meeting that the new Policy showing the revised valuations was being prepared by the Insurance Company.

   

b)

Transport Plan

     

The Chairman told the meeting that assistance had been offered by Thomas Keble students in the preparation of any plans that may be required.

   

c)

Declaration of Interests

     

The Clerk told the meeting that assistance had been offered by Stroud District Council on the implementation of a Register.

 

 

 

 

 

d)

 

Stroud District Local Plan (Mr Budgeon)

     

Mr Budgeon told the meeting that he had been in contact with Stroud District Council but it would appear that no new objections could be put forward nor could any existing objections be modified. If any matters were to be pursued, it would be necessary to attend the Public Enquiry.

   

e)

Snow Warden Procedures

     

An invitation to a meeting to discuss the Highway Authority’s plans for bad weather had been circulated to Snow Wardens. The Clerk was asked to reply stating that the Snow Wardens were in full-time employment and as such a 10.00 a.m. meeting was inconvenient and requesting an early evening meeting. However, if this were not possible, Mr Bryant would attend and, possibly Mr Brooks if business permitted.

It was noted that Grit Bins had been filled.

01.10

5.

District Council Matters

   

In District Cllr’s absence, the Chairman informed the meeting that the works on the Toadsmoor Road, Eastcombe were estimated to be approximately £120K. The Clerk was asked to write to the District Surveyor of the Highways Authority expressing the Parish Council’s disquiet at the money spent on the construction of a footpath which, in their opinion, was unnecessary and would not be used.

01.10

6.

County Council Matters

   

Mr Fellows told the meeting of the change in the structure of the County Council administration with communications becoming difficult.

He did not have a breakdown of the costings of the Toadsmoor Road and the footpath. A discussion ensued as to the usefulness of the footpath against a footpath which was urgently needed in Bisley and which would be well used. Mr Fellows felt that it was logical to have the Toadsmoor Road footpath constructed in conjunction with the upgrading of the road.

He told the meeting that the funds for the Toadsmoor Road footpath came out of a capital scheme some 12 years ago. The funds for the Bisley footpath would be provided from a different budget. Councillors reiterated their belief that Parish Councils should be consulted on such decisions. Mr Fellows agreed to write to the Highways Department affirming this point. He also confirmed that he would give his support to a footpath in Bisley.

01.10

7.

Finance

 
 

Receipts

£

VAT

£

Total

£

 

Second half of precept

   

10,500.00

 

Bank Interest

   

5.48

 

Total

   

£ 10,505.48

         
 

Payments

     
 

Electronic Imaging Solutions (photo-copies)

14.93

2.61

17.54

 

The Consortium

47.14

8.25

55.39

 

NPower (Bisley Pavilion)

9.31

.46

9.77

 

Lorna Martin (cleaner Bisley Pavilion)

   

47.97

 

Petty Cash

   

50.00

 

Robert Newbold (Eastcombe Grass cutting)

 

 

 

22.60

 

E F Jordan – September Salary

   

440.24

 

Alex Bryant (Oakridge Grass Cutting)

   

50.00

 

Inland Revenue (N I & Income Tax)

   

25.32

 

Total

£71.38

£11.32

£ 718.83

 

Cash balance as at 30 September 2001 - £ 6880.33

The Lock-up Account - £ 1863.03

01.10

8.

Matters for Discussion

   

a)

Precept

     

The Clerk handed out accounts for each ward to assist in preparing their budgets for next year. The Precept request is to be with the District council by mid-December.

   

b)

Update on Road Repairs

     

The Clerk was asked to write to John Roberts at County Highways asking him to confirm that Bisley High Street will be resurfaced as discussed at last December’s site meeting.

   

c)

Golden Jubilee

     

Eastcombe and Bisley confirmed that plans were underway in their villages for events. A suitable medal/coin was suggested if gifts were to be given to children.

Mr Budgeon suggested that the new housing in Bisley could reflect the occasion in the naming of its road, for example, Jubilee Terrace.

   

d)

Proposed new site of Stroud Bus Station

     

A letter had been circulated to the Wards from a resident of Stroud asking for support to try and stop the relocation of Stroud Bus Station to a small area below the Rowcroft Medical Centre. The Councillors agreed that the relocation was impractical and vehicular and pedestrian access unsuitable. The Clerk was asked to write to Stroud District Council giving these views.

   

e)

Rural Projects Grants – 2002/2003

     

Applications are now being prepared in the Wards and should be passed to the Clerk by October 24th.

   

f)

Windyridge Play Area

     

Plans for the play area have been received and are acceptable. The Clerk was asked to write to the Housing Association confirming this and stating that the swing should be suitable for small children and the seat should be an ergonomic cradle.

   

g)

Stancombe Triangle

     

A letter had been received from the Highways Department and the Ward was in agreement with its contents. It was agreed that as this area, when completed, will only be cut twice a year by the County Council, Bisley Ward will arrange grass cutting in the interim periods.

   

h)

Cotswold AONB

     

Mr Brooks attended a meeting arranged by Land Use Consultants who had been commissioned by the Countryside Agency to find out if a Conservation Board would be a better way of managing the AONB than the present Cotswold Partnership. Mr Brooks said that he had voted for maintaining the status quo, and suggested that the Partnership could and should involve Parish Councils more directly. The Council agreed with him.

   

i)

20 mph Speed Limit - Bisley

     

The speed limit is now in place but unease was expressed generally at the lack of a 30 mph sign before coming across the 20 mph sign. Mr Fellows will make approaches to the Highways Department to get this point across.

   

j)

Police Joint Meeting

     

Mr Newman attended this meeting and gave his report. It is anticipated that such meetings will take place three times a year with the next meeting taking place in February next year.

01.10

9.

Planning

   

Recent planning applications were available on the table for inspection together with the Planning Sub-Committees’ comments, which are now attached to these minutes.

01.10

10.

Correspondence

   

During the month, the following correspondence had been received and was on the table for the meeting.

     
   

SDC

Notice of election in May, 2002

   

GAPTC

Annual General Meeting 20.10.01

   

GAPTC

Corporate Plan

   

Community Health Council

Open meeting 11.10.01 Chalford Village Hall

   

Environment Agency

Application from BNF to dispose of radioactive waste from Power Stations in England and Wales

   

SDC

Housing Strategy 2002/2005

       

01.10

11.

Ward Matters

   

a)

Bisley

     

Nothing to raise.

       
   

b)

Eastcombe

     

Mrs Russell asked that the school be requested to let the police know when holding an open day as last week the parking situation had been unacceptable during an Open Day.

     

Mr Brooks had composed a letter on behalf of the Council supporting their bid to become a Centre of Excellence in IT, mathematics and science. It was hoped that this letter would assist with their funding. The Council agreed with this action.

       
   

c)

Oakridge

     

Work should now proceed on the Headwell on Crofts Hill and a tender for landscaping be sought. A Memorandum of Understanding should be obtained with Mr Halliday, the adjacent landowner.

     

It was agreed to press the group let by Mr Naylor to proceed with the building of the cemetery wall before the expiration of the grant availability which is 28th February 2002.

     

The Clerk was asked to contact Stroud District Council regarding Oakridge Lynch Cemetery and a possible site meeting with one or more Ward Councillors.

     

The Clerk was asked to write to Mr and Mrs Gardiner to thank them for his generosity in donating the land for the Cemetery

The Chairman asked the meeting to consider the provision of a booklet about the Parish for newcomers, which would be discussed at the next meeting.

01.10

12.

Date and Place of Next Meeting

   

The next meeting will be held at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday, 7 November in the Bisley W I Hall.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.30 p m