MINUTES OF THE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD at 8.00 p.m. on WEDNESDAY, 3 APRIL 2002 at BISLEY WOMEN’S INSTITUTE HALL

Mrs P Carrick

 

Chairman

Mrs J M Martin

}

 

Mr J P L Perkins

}

Bisley Ward

Mr N S Rogers

}

 

Mr T G Carter

}

 

Mr R K Brooks

}

Eastcombe Ward

Mrs J W Russell

}

 

Mrs O M Turner

}

 

Mr A C Newman

}

 

Mr R N Budgeon

}

Oakridge Ward

Mr R S Bryant

}

 

Mrs E F Jordan

 

Clerk

In attendance: District Cllr L C Greene, County Cllr Mr C Fellows

No members of the public were present

02.04

1.

Apologies for Absence

   

Mr M G Flint, holiday.

02.04

2.

Public Participation

   

There was nothing raised under this heading.

02.04

3.

Minutes of Previous Meeting

   

The draft Minutes of the meeting held on 6th March 2002, having been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.

02.04

4.

Matters Arising

   

a)

Speed Limit – Stancombe

     

A letter had been received from the Traffic Manager stating that Stancombe did not meet the criteria for a 30 mph speed restriction. As it was understood that all the residents in the village had made this request to the Highways Authority, it was suggested that a separate limit of 40 mph be requested, not an extension to the Bisley speed limit. This will be discussed at Ward and reported on at the next meeting.

   

b)

Stroud District Council’s Jubilee Grant

     

This was briefly discussed. Further consideration will be given at ward level as to how the wards wish to use the grant for a permanent project or projects. A decision will be made at the May meeting.

   

c)

Transport Plan

     

Mrs Turner reported on the meeting of the committee set up to look into this. As it has been estimated that the running a bus 5 journeys a day, 5 days a week plus one evening journey, would be in the region of £60,000 per annum, Bisley-with-Lypiatt had joined with Painswick, Miserden and Cranham to apply for possible grants of £10,000 each. The bus should run between villages in all the parishes meeting up with the existing bus service as well as journeys to Cirencester and Stroud. It would not affect or replace the existing bus service. A further report will be given as to the progress at the next meeting.

   

d)

Windyridge

     

Mr Perkins stated that as Stroud District Council had expressed a desire to dispose of the excess land on this site, during March, letters had been sent to leaders of all the political parties in Stroud District Council requesting that they back Bisley-with-Lypiatt Parish Council in their quest to retain the land for affordable housing in the future. This request met with varying degrees of success – however, all parties were certainly aware of the council’s wishes to keep the land. A decision had been made at the District Council’s Meeting to defer any decision for six months.

Miss Greene said that she had requested that any decisions be deferred for twelve months in order that a village appraisal could take place, thereby identifying the local need. She will report back shortly.

Sovereign Housing have indicated that they are willing to transfer ownership of the play area to the parish council once building is completed.

   

e)

Planning – New Scheme of Delegation

     

A letter had been received from Stroud District Council’s Development Services in reply to a recent letter from the council. Mr Newman wished to know what the outcome of an application would be if the parish council supported an application with a reason and the District Council were against it. Would the application be referred to committee or dealt with by delegation? The clerk will enquire.

   

f)

Footpath MBL16, Bismore Farm

     

This has now reached a satisfactory conclusion and its closure was rejected at a recent meeting. However, the applicant has 28 days to appeal.

02.04

5.

District Council Matters

   

Nothing was raised under this heading

02.04

6.

County Council Matters

   

Mr Fellows had nothing to raise but Mr Newman asked him whether figures were available in respect of the excess money in the Highways Department winter maintenance budget after a mild winter. Mr Fellows stated that they would be available at the end of the financial year.

02.04

7.

Finance

  

Receipts

£

VAT

Total

£

  

A E & G V Davis

   

170.00

  

Oakridge Newsletter

   

480.00

  

Interest

   

3.36

  

VAT Refund

   

713.29

  

Bisley Allotments’ Rent

   

185.00

  

Oakridge Allotments’ Rent

   

67.00

       

£1,618.65

  

Payments

   

 

  

Cornhill Insurance (2002/03)

   

1,064.84

  

Abbey Business Equipment (Copy Printer)

650.00

113.75

763.75

  

Bisley Women’s Institute (Hall rental 2002/03 + £5 charge for excess gas used)

 

 

 

 

185.00

  

Electronic Imaging Solutions (Photo-copies)

14.56

2.55

17.11

  

GAPTC (Guidance on the new Audit Scheme)

   

9.95

  

E F Jordan (March Salary)

   

440.24

  

Inland Revenue (NI & Income Tax – March)

   

25.32

  

Petty Cash

   

50.00

       

£ 2,556.21

  

Cash Balance as at 31 March 2002 – £9,772.73

 

The clerk told the meeting of the new arrangements for the external audit which would now be undertaken by Moore Stephens of Gay Street, Bath. It appears that the Chairman can no longer undertake the quarterly internal audit and therefore another volunteer, totally unconnected with the council must be sought to undertake this. Councillors will make enquiries.

02.04

8.

Matters for Discussion

   

a)

Gas Provision – Bisley

     

The clerk was asked to approach Transco in respect of the feasibility of supplying gas to the existing houses at Windyridge when supplying gas to the new housing.

 

   

b)

Elections

     

There had been confusion with the completion of nomination forms for the forthcoming local elections. Stroud District Council had shortened the name of the parish to Bisley; the local post offices did not have up-to-date Registers of Electors nor was there a return address on the papers. This was considered to be unsatisfactory and the clerk was asked to write a letter.

     

The Chairman reminded those standing for election that the papers should be with the District Council no later than 12 noon on Friday, 5th April.

   

c)

Junction of Eastcombe/Bisley Road leading to Chalford Hill

     

A letter has been received from the Highways Department in respect of improving this junction. Mr Brooks was not in favour of removing the grass triangle, which had been suggested. However, as this is considered to be a dangerous junction, it will be discussed further at Ward and a reported at the next meeting.

   

d)

Bledisloe Cup

     

Councillors did not wish to participate in this.

   

e)

Adoption of New Model Code of Conduct

     

This had been circulated to councillors and IT WAS PROPOSED BY NIGEL ROGERS AND SECONDED BY RICHARD BRYANT THAT THE NEW MODEL CODE OF CONDUCT BE ADOPTED THIS MOTION WAS PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

02.04

9.

Planning

   

The following applications had been received and the following were the Council’s responses during the last month.

   

The Studio, Eastcombe: Revised Planning Permission – Comments: These comments relate to the design, size, scale and materials in relation to the existing building and it’s setting within the Eastcombe conservation area.

  1. The building should be in real stone (as shown in the plan) but it is important that the proper quoin stones are used (not clear from plan). Without the use of quoins, the visual effect is not in keeping with surrounding stone buildings.
  2. The lower roof height of the proposed garage is an improvement over the previous plan.
  3. The general appearance of the building, and the small windows in particular, is a backwards step compared to the previous plans (Nov 2001). The slight reduction in width of the main building is not an improvement.
  4. As previously stated, we are concerned about the loss of another ‘small’ dwelling in the village and its replacement with yet another 4 bedroom house. However, the proposed building is not too big for the site, and this concern has not been recognised as grounds for rejection of other planning applications in the village.

 

 

1 Fir Tree Cottages, Cheltenham Road, Bisley: Revised Plan to enclose porch – Support

   

Abbeywood House, Lypiatt Park: Demolition and replacement of dwelling – Object

   

Througham Slad Manor, Bisley: Conversion of barn and erection of garage etc.- Object – The site plan clearly shows a new access drive to the property which pre-supposes that the re-routed highway alterations have already been approved. This is not the case. Only change of use of the land has so far been granted. The Parish Council stated quite categorically at the outset that it did not support the re-routing of the highway as this would deny the general public the use and enjoyment of this ancient stretch of road. This is still our view. The Parish Council does not however object in principle to appropriate and sympathetic development on this site.

   

Througham Slad Manor, Bisley: Listed Building Application, conversion of barn and erection of garage etc – Object – The site plan clearly shows a new access drive to the property which pre-supposes that the re-routed highway alterations have already been approved. This is not the case. Only change of use of the land has so far been granted. The Parish Council stated quite categorically at the outset that it did not support the re-routing of the highway as this would deny the general public the use and enjoyment of this ancient stretch of road. This is still our view. The Parish Council does not, however, object to appropriate and sympathetic development of this site.

   

Througham Slad Manor, Bisley: 2 single storey extensions and other works – Support

   

Frampton Cottage, Oakridge Lynch: single storey extension/ conservatory – Support – We support this application although one member would like to see the conservatory look less like a ‘shed’.

   

Cooper Cottage, Back Lane, Bisley: Listed Building Appllication – re-roofing lean-to with imitation tiles – Support

   

The Bungalow, Eastcombe: Erection of single storey extension – No observations

   

The Laurels, Far Oakridge: Demolition of lean-to extension to include elderly relative accommodation – Support – the plot is large enough to accommodate this proposal. We would not like to see this application refused.

   

Badgers Brook, Bismore: Installation of new dormer rooflights, alteration to existing window and retrospective application for rooflights – Comments – In our view, it is not possible to make a decision on this application for full planning permission on a property situated in a conservation area, because the plans submitted and the description of the proposed changes are materially incomplete and inaccurate. We are writing to Mr Ian Goby to draw his attention to this state of affairs.

02.04

10.

Correspondence

     
   

County Air Ambulance

Appeal

   

DEFRA

Illegal poisoning

   

Continental Landscapes Ltd

Highway Maintenance & Cleansing

   

SDC

Refuse collection & recycling services

   

Commission for Racial Equality

Consultation Draft

       

02.04

11.

Ward Matters

     
   

a)

Bisley

     

Mr Perkins stated that although work had now ceased on Stancombe Triangle, it was not finished. The Clerk was asked to make enquiries as to when completion was anticipated.

     

There is a kerbed curve in the road at Stancombe Lane before the triangle towards Bisley which traffic is mounting. The County Council have been approached to widen the road by reducing the verge. The clerk was asked to write to the Highways Department and ask for progress.

       
   

b)

Eastcombe

     

Mrs Russell asked whether a reply had been received from the Library Service in respect of re-locating the mobile library back to the Village Green. The clerk will chase this.

   

c)

Oakridge

     

Mr Newman stated that with some dissent, it was agreed to ratify the decision to increase the grant to the Oakridge Jubilee Group.

     

Mr Newman asked that the clerk make enquiries as to the exact description of roads to be repaired in the next financial year.

       
     

Christmas trees are being grown on an allotment at Oakridge. The Clerk was asked to write to the holder and ask that they remove the black polythene, which is a habitat of rabbits.

     

Also some cherry trees have been planted in an allotment near to The Laurels. A site meeting will be arranged.

     

The Oakridge Society plans to repair the War Memorial. It was requested that they put their plans to the Ward before work commences. The Clerk will contact them.

     

A quotation has been received for repairing the wall on the recreation ground. This work should commence shortly.

     

The clerk was requested to write a letter to Mrs Deane expressing the council’s sadness on the death of her late husband, Cyril.

   

Non Ward Matters

Mr Bryant expressed concern as to the safety of the crossing in Stroud at the mini-roundabout at the junction of Nelson Street and Cornhill. It has been noted that people coming down Nelson street cross the crossing without looking to the right. The clerk was asked to write to Stroud Town Council.

02.04

12.

Date and Place of Next Meeting

   

The Annual General Meeting will take place at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday 8 May 2002 at Bisley Women’s Institute Hall.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.30 p.m.